LEAP is a leading learning organisation created to give young South Africans the academic and life skills they need to become future leaders. LEAP schools have high expectations of South Africa’s youth and aim to transform our deeply divided communities, one graduate at a time.
What makes LEAP special is its focus on the emotional and social development of young people and their communities, as well as academic achievement particularly in maths, science and English.
The attention to access, personal development and academic excellence is a model that should be replicated everywhere in our education system.”
- Dr Mamphela Ramphele
LEAP shares its stories and model to create a new voice in youth leadership, proving its impact so that it can grow to reach more young people.
A passionate group of educators, learners, parents, community leaders,volunteers and specialists is at the heart of what makes LEAP work.
As part of the LEAP learning community, we are all deeply committed to LEAP’s values and to transforming our society through education.
The LEAP learning community has:
- 6 independent high schools
- Educator training and leadership development
- The LEAP Learning Centre Community support and development
- LEAPSA – our past students’ association Collaborations and partnerships with like-minded organisations.
LEAP is an intervention that works. Since 2004, LEAP has achieved:
- A 94% Grade 12 pass rate
- 72% of graduates go on to tertiary studies.
- 89% and 86% pass rates in maths and science, compared to 40% and 41% in the communities that LEAP serves.