The Fortunate 500 Club
The Fortunate 500 Club is for South Africans who want to make a significant contribution to education transformation. The ELMA Foundation has partnered with LEAP and have committed to double all donations of R500,000 or more (up to R10m) that are donated to LEAP by new South African donors before 30 June 2015. All supporters whose donations at matched by The ELMA Foundation will automatically become members of The Fortunate 500 Club.
To be eligible for a match of grant funds (an “Eligible Donation”) a donation must meet all of the following qualifications:
- The donation must be in an amount of at least ZAR500,000
- As the purpose of the challenge grant is to encourage sizeable new and increased local donations, the donation must be a “South African donor” who is:
- a new donor who has never made any donations to LEAP Science & Maths Schools.
- a returning donor who has previously made donations to LEAP Science & Maths Schools but has not made any donations since 31 December 2010.
- an increasing donor who may have made or is currently making donations to LEAP Science & Maths Schools but who has never made donations in any calendar year in excess of ZAR100,000.
To be a South African donor, a donor must be:
- a business founded or headquartered in South Africa which holds substantial assets in South Africa or which derives a majority of its revenue from business activities carried out in South Africa.
- an individual (a) born in South Africa or (b) who, at the time of making the donation, is resident in South Africa (such contribution may be made personally or by or through a family trust, a family office, a family charity or similar entity, whether or not any such trust, office, charity or other entity is based or located in South Africa).
- a not-for-profit organisation located in South Africa such as a South African foundation, charitable trust, church or similar institution.
LEAP is an ISASA registered school, a Non Profit (061-261-NPO) and Public Benefit Organisation (930005342). We are independently audited each year.
Donations to LEAP qualify for tax relief and socio-economic development points on the B-BBEE scorecard.
Thank you to the following people and Trusts who have joined The Fortunate 500 Club:
- Absa (Barclays Africa)
- AC Louw Trust
- Ackerman Family Foundation
- Apex Hi
- The Homechoice Development Trust
- Stuart Kirkman
- The Pola Pasvolsky Charitable and Educational Trust
- The Rolf-Stephan Nussbaum Foundation
- Total E&P South Africa
- The Wise Trust