What we do
LEAP is a learning model that aims for excellence – particularly in mathematics, science and English – and so transforms disadvantaged young people’s lives and the communities where they live.
LEAP provides a high quality education to students from grades 9 to 12 with the potential to learn and a willingness to work hard towards success in education, future employment and life.
“LEAP is a beautiful school. It opens our hearts so that we can shine in the world.”
- Siphokazi, Grade 11
The LEAP learning community includes:
- Independent high schools
- A teacher training and leadership programme – LEAP Future Leaders
- A learning centre providing tutoring to learners from community schools
- An extensive community support and social development programme
- An active past students’ association – LEAPSA
- Collaborations and partnerships that contribute to education development globally
LEAP Future Leaders is a teacher training programme that gives LEAP graduates the specialist skills and opportunities they need to lead education reform in South Africa.
The programme provides:
- Practical classroom training
- Mentoring and specialised tuition
- Life skills awareness
- Support, fees and a small living allowance for distance learning
The LEAP Learning Centre provides quality tutoring to learners in partner communities in Cape Town.
The Learning Centre offers:
- Tutoring in township schools to improve maths competency and share resources
- Saturday classes for extra lesson support in key subjects
- Maths, science and leadership holiday camps
LEAPSA is a network of LEAP past students, working together to create positive change within their lives and their communities. LEAPSA:
- Provides support to current students
- Develops and runs community projects
- Keeps members in touch online
- Organises student events
- Helps raise funds so that future generations can have the opportunity to be a LEAP student.